India Business Quiz is happy to present a Business Quiz by Guest Quiz Master Debasish Mandal*
This set of 10 questions have been taken from the book“Classic Business Quiz”(ASIN: B09B68TP7S) authored by him
1. In Ayurveda, this plant is being used in the treatment of jaundice, fever, arthritis, poisonous snake bites etc. During the late 19th century, a different product produced from the leaves of the plant used to be exported (worth ₹4 crore approx. of that era) from India. Identify this plant.
Ans. Indigo plant. Indigo revolt in 1859 was a success compared to the Sepoy Revolt.
2.The comics series last story “Tintin and the Picaros” was inspired by the Cuban revolutionary Fidel Castro. In this story Tintin appears with a well-known logo in his helmet (see image with question mark). The sign was invented by British graphic designer Gerald Holtom in 1958. Name the organisation of the logo appeared in his helmet.
Ans.The CND (Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament) sign – which during the 60s came into widespread use as a symbol of peace and love.
3. Who signed (by his nickname meaning “man”) this Cuban currency as the President of the national bank of Cuba between 1959 to 1961?
4.This is an old advertisement of an Indian brand of Kali Cigarette from Bengal. Religious images were thus used to express nationalist ideas (Swadeshi Movement) and inspire people against British rule. However, this advertisement was banned by the British in 1905 not for any health specific reason but for depiction of something against British Government. Explain the reason behind the banning of this ad.
Ans. In the image, the heads of British soldiers amongst the demons killed by the goddess.
5. In May’20, within a single year, market value of this company jumped from ₹4,675 Cr to ₹3,66,890 Cr. This company became more valuable than the combined largest airlines (see the names in the graph) of the world during the last four months. The wife of the founder inspired him to tinker about this company. Name the company
Ans.Zoom Video Communications, Inc.
6. This world-renowned quality guru started his career with GE as an apprentice, and finished his engineering while continuing his work at GE. After graduating, he joined GE as a design engineer. When German force destroyed Rolls Royce factory (of UK) , US Air Force assigned the aircraft engine development to GE. Due to the requirement of high-quality aircraft engines, he was assigned to establish first ever quality control engineering unit of GE. He observed that in every factory, lot of extra work is performed in correcting mistakes and it could waste up to 40% of its total capacity. Name him and the name of the quality concept regarding extra work.
Ans.Armand Feigenbaum & “Hidden Plant”
7. “The Flower of My Secret” is a 1995 film by Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar. The film was selected as the Spanish entry for the Best Foreign Language Film. The logo of which office stationery brand was portrayed on the cover poster (see image) of the film portraying the central character named Leo Macias, popular romance novelist?
8. All the illustrations of the girls portrayed by a highest paid artist during the span of 20 years spanning late 19th and early 20th centuries in the United States. Merchandise bearing those girls image included saucers, ashtrays, tablecloths, pillow covers, chair covers, souvenir spoons, screens, fans, and umbrella stands. How do we know these girls named after the great American illustrator?
Ans.Gibson Girls named after Charles Dana Gibson
9. The Reserve Bank of India in 1969 came out with a commemorative currency note of ₹100/- showing Mahatma Gandhi seated in the backdrop of the Sevagram Ashram. However, long before, which bank issued the currency notes of 1000 units (see above image) depicting Mahatma Gandhi?
(The same organisation issued coins & stamps as shown in the image)
Ans.Azad Hind Bank: It was established on 5 April 1944, at Rangoon (the then headquarter of Azad Hind interim provisional Indian government supported by Imperial Japan) in Burma. Bose established the Azad Hind bank to manage funds donated by the Indian community from across the world for the liberation of India from the British Raj. Initially the bank had an authorized capital of ₹ 50 Lakhs and paid-up capital of ₹ 25 lakhs
10. This is a letterhead from 1950s (with old logo of winged Bengal Tiger), of an International Organisation started at 36 Chowringhee Road (present day Jawaharlal Nehru Road). Later this organisation was shifted to a foreign country whose head of state requested two wealthy businessmen of Calcutta (Now Kolkata) to set up this organisation. Name the organisation.
(There is no connection with the film 36 Chowringhee Lane, a 1981 film written and directed by Aparna Sen and produced by Shashi Kapoor.)
Ans. Pakistan International Airlines Corporation
Debasish Mandal has been a five times Winner of the Tata Crucible Corporate Quiz from Indore and a national finalist in 2018. He also penned a quiz book “Classic Business Quiz” (by pen name Asish Dev) and published on Amazon Kindle platform(ASIN: B09B68TP7S). He currently lives and works in Bengaluru.